5.15.2009

Culture Corner #2

In our city, most women wear what is known as a Chadar ne-maz (or prayer scarf) when they are out and about in public. It is a large piece of material that covers the head and goes all the way down to my feet. It is basically like wearing a bed sheet, but pretty. For ease, we put in a piece of elastic so that it stays on our head easier without slipping and sliding around. If I am going to be walking around the Bazaar I will usually wear my Chadar ne-maz. Below is a picture of what they look like.

If I am going someplace a little more western, or to an office or school where things are a little more modern, I will wear a jacket called a "mantu" that comes down to my knees with a head scarf.


When in their homes, most women dress like we would in the states. If there are men around who are not their relatives, they will wear a headscarf, but if it is just women, the scarfs come off! It has been a joy to get to know a few of the women here in the city. Please ask Dad for continued opportunities for me to meet women in our city.

If you have any questions you want answered in the next "Culture Corner" just send an e-mail or post a comment. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment